Maxillofacial surgery is a specialty in Dentistry concerning surgery of the facial region involving soft tissues and hard tissues. To be precise, it is the surgical treatment of diseases, injuries, and defects involving the functional and aesthetic aspects of the hard and soft tissues of the oral and maxillofacial region.
The following categories come under this specialty:
- Minor Oral Surgical Treatment – surgical removal of impacted wisdom teeth, surgery in relation to the maxillary sinus, complicated exodontics, frenectomy, pre-prosthetic surgical procedures, cyst enucleation, treatment of various lesions in the oro-facial region, management of oral submucous fibrosis and related precancerous conditions, pre-orthodontic surgical procedures, apicectomy, etc.
- Dental & Maxillofacial Trauma – includes soft tissue injuries of the facial region, fractures of the mandible, maxilla, zygoma, TM joint injuries, and dentoalveolar complex injuries.
- Infections: Infections of the dentofacial region including odontogenic infections. Pathologic lesions of the dentofacial region such as cysts and tumors of the face and jaws.
- Cosmetic surgical treatment - Orthognathic Surgery of malalignment and maldevelopment of the jaws, including dentofacial deformities, asymmetry, etc. The very word orthognathic means orthos – to straighten and gnathic – concerning jaws. It is the specialized field of surgery that deals with surgical correction of deformities of facial bones present at birth as well as acquired during some time of life or the other.
These procedures help patients affected by a facial deformity, to shed all their inhibited behavioral patterns and low self-esteem which they have due to their facial deformity. The procedure helps the patient in improving their facial appearance, shedding their fears of social rejection, and adding to their self-esteem and communicative capability. These deformities pose not only esthetic but also psychological and functional problems such as speech, mastication, and respiratory difficulties. These related problems are also very often corrected by orthognathic surgical procedures.
The Maxillofacial Surgery wing at SmileCenter India practices a full scope of oral and maxillofacial surgery with expertise ranging from corrective jaw surgery to wisdom tooth removal. We have excellent solutions for
- Reconstructive procedures following trauma or cancer surgery of the dentofacial region.
- Pre-prosthetic surgery and Dental Implants.
- Temporomandibular Joint disturbances.
- Oro-facial pain and other neurological abnormalities of the oro-facial region (TMJ surgery).
- Periodontal surgical procedures – involving teeth associated with mobility and severe gingival recession.
- Management of mentally retarded, medically compromised, pediatric and geriatric patients requiring complex surgical and dental procedures of the oro-facial region.